Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chicken stock made from scraps

Yes you read right, I pretty much make my chicken stock from any leftovers & peels, skins veggie cuts.
Whenever we have any chicken if it contains bones I collect them and stick them in a zip lock bag and chuck in the freezer. Sounds gross I know but they are going to be re cooked for that long I figure nothing can survive ;) also I have a bag in the freezer that I put all left over onion peels, garlic skins and off cuts of vegetables. If I notice something in the fridge is on its way out and if I cant use it in a recipe in the freezer bag it goes ! I can't bear to throw anything out and always try to make sure I use everything up! I even freeze egg shells , they are full if calcium when cooked in the stock. 
You wouldn't believe that all this makes the best chicken stock! Obviously I strain all the bones and veg cuts so your left with super nutritious rich liquid stock that's perfect for using as a base in recipes or making soup.

Tonight my vegetable freezer bag contained :
Onion peel (both red and brown )
Garlic skin
Broccolini stems
Off cuts from spring onion 
Red capsicum tops / core 
Pumpkin seeds / skin 
Carrot peel 
Sweet potato peel 
Celery leaves 
Zucchini skin / ends 
Tomato leaves 
 
I had some plastic containers in the freezer too with about 4kilos of chicken bones I'd been saving.
I cook the stock up in my slow cooker ! Such a fantastic $22 spent at good ol big w! 
I put all the left over veg and bones in the pot then add a additional brown onion with skin and 4 unpeeled and squashed garlic cloves , 2 celery stalks with leaves roughly chopped , 2 bay leaves , 1 carrot unpeeled roughly chopped. I then pour about 4-5 litres of cold pura tap water till its all covered and water reaches the max level. Measure in 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Put the lid on the slow cooker and let sit for about 20 minutes. 
This allows the apple cider vinegar draw all the flavour and nutrients out from the egg shells and chicken bones. 
Give the stock and quick stir and I add a bunch of parsley lightly chopped, flick the power on the slow cooker and set on high. Once it starts bubbling a bit if there is any scummy impurities that have risen to the surface I then scrape off with a slotted spoon. I give the stock one more good stir then turn it down to low heat pop the lid back on and go to bed ;) ( I usually make stock at night ) 
Cook on low for minimum 9 hours , I have left it for 24 hours before and I find the longer it cooks for the more rich the stock and more "jellyish" 
Strain the stock through I fine sieve , making sure to capture all that nutritious liquid in another pot . I'm only now happy to discard the left over bones and veggies! They have done their job. But trust me if I could think of something to use the scraps up in again I would ! Haha. 

I separate the liquid stock into small plastic containers and store in the freezer. 

So so so much better for you than bought packaged stock and not to mention the taste is by far amazing :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment